[PyQt] PyQt Licensing Issue

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Wed Dec 9 20:49:57 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 09 December 2009, 19:40:25 Prashant Saxena wrote:
> Thanks for your kind reply.
>
> My application is purely python+PyQt
> based. I can buy a PyQt commercial license and release the application
> on all platforms supported by PyQt. Releasing mean  the .pyc files plus
> necessary PyQt files(.lib,.dll,.so etc.) required. AFAIK this would do
> the job. Correct me If I am wrong.

You will need to scotch users from becoming developers in some way, that try
to resell their stuff. You might want to check the VendorID package, or at
least, use pyinstaller to make this abuse hard. This may help for the
problem below, too. Phil, do you consider such practice as sufficient?

Giovanni, am I correct, that pyinstaller can be used for packaging
commercial apps as well?

> Just now I have finished some
> tests where I compiled .py files using cython+gcc(pure python mode) on
> XP 32. All of these .py files has PyQt imports. When I replace .pyc
> files with .pyd files, application crashes. I am still investigating
> for the cause but I am not so good in c/c++ stuff. I already posted a
> new topic about this problem but haven't got any reply so far.
>
> Up
> to here I am not at all touching Qt but if in case this compiling stuff
> need some thing from Qt in order to make my PyQt app error free, then
> it would be a problem.

Yes, but with a PyQt commercial license, you're always free to fix the
problem in the wrapper or in a custom sip binding, don't you?

Pete