[PyQt] LGPL license.

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 16:21:29 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Phil Thompson
<phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:

> The selection of a language happens much earlier than the selection of a
> GUI toolkit. A GUI toolkit is (or at least should be) a relatively minor

Sometimes, the gui toolkit is selected for you. This may not be true
for pc software, but my personal interest here lies in mobile device
development, and Maemo / S60 platforms. Both are moving to have Qt as
the primary native toolkit, and that's really what your program should
use to "integrate natively" with the rest of the gui (read: it's most
likely that you will be paid for a project that requires you to use
Qt). Traditionally, the sdk's to both of these platforms have been
free-as-in-beer-for-commercial-development, and that expectation may
still remain - someone could with few hundred developers under him
could make a "strategic" choice based on that alone. I'm not
necessarily arguing that it's a good choice, but it's just something
that may happen, given the basic human psychology (cheapskate
knee-jerk reaction).

This is lots of will/would/could, but that's because Qt is just
"starting to happen" in my universe. Mostly in C++, but I think it
would be nice if Python gained a strong foothold here as well.

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio