[PyQt] i18n

Kovid Goyal kovid at kovidgoyal.net
Wed Feb 11 20:32:34 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 12:05:13 you wrote:
> On 2/11/2009 8:14 PM, Kovid Goyal wrote:
> You'll be hard-pressed to find a Windows translation program better than
> Linguist. Do you have any suggestion? Did you personally evaluate
> Linguist and are aware of its features?
>
> (OK, Linguist can now import .po files too, but then I don't see the
> point of using an external translation package).

The critical thing in open source projects is to make it as easy as possible
for volunteers to contribute translations. Launchpad allows you to have a
simple web based interface where they can contribute translated strings
easily. Plus it suggests translations for frequently used strings across its
entire database of available translations.

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/gettext/Plural-forms.html

> > This has the additional advantage of not tying in your translation
> > infrastructure to a graphical toolkit.
>
> Given how simple is to batch-substitute tr() to _() (so simple that
> you're even suggesting it yourself), I don't really see a point here.
> Converting the whole application to another toolkit would probably be
> much harder in the first place.

What if your application has many parts, only some of which need a graphical
toolkit. What if you want to write different GUIs for different contexts?

Kovid.

--
Kovid Goyal
www.kovidgoyal.net