[PyQt] LGPL license.

Sundance sundance at ierne.eu.org
Thu Feb 12 11:44:40 GMT 2009

Giovanni Bajo wrote:

> You're basically restating your previous point, without debating mine.
> The language choice affects companies much more than £350 /
> programmer.

Hi Giovanni, hi Phil, hi everybody,

Giovanni, I'm... a bit uncomfortable writing this because I generally
agree with you, and don't want to come across as confrontational, but I
think there is still something worth pointing out that I feel you left
out from your reasoning.

In my (limited) experience, a major parameter in language choice in
medium- to large-size companies is developer availability. Languages for
which developers are easier to find get a significant advantage (hence
the commercial success of PHP, for instance).

>From this, it follows that fostering a broad ecosystem of developers
does help your language in the end, so those small-scales developers for
whom £350 is a big deal do actually matter to you, indirectly. Actually,
I think it goes even more so for those developers that only start
dabbling for whom the option of eventually relicensing their product and
selling it might make a difference.

So, no LGPL for PyQt might mean less small-scale developers picking up
Python for their Qt development, which in turn means less Python
developers out there as a whole and a lesser chance for bigger companies
to eventually settle for Python as their chosen tech.

Or something to that extent anyway. Hard to tell how much weight that
reasoning actually carries in practice. Not too much, I hope (but I dare
not be optimistic).

Sill, that's why I, for one, *hope* PyQt will eventually end up LGPL in
a commercially sustainable manner (the best option being sponsorship
from Nokia... one can dream!). But that's only a hope, one I barely dare
voice at that, and is no way a demand. :)

Bye,

-- S.