[PyQt] PocketPC port of PyQT4

David Boddie dboddie at trolltech.com
Fri Feb 13 17:41:30 GMT 2009

On Fri Feb 13 07:54:08 GMT 2009, Frédéric wrote:
> On jeudi 12 février 2009, David Boddie wrote:
> > On Thu Feb 12 20:03:49 GMT 2009, Stef Mientki wrote:
> > > Me too thought that PyQt was the solution to be multi-platform,
> > > but from the reactions pocket PC doesn't seem to be included.
> >
> > I think the reason for that has been lack of obvious demand. Getting a
> > version of PyQt up and running with the configuration of Qt for Embedded
> > Linux is basically a weekend's work.
>
> Should I use Qt embedded, or Qt standard?

You should use Qt for Windows CE as a starting point:

http://www.qtsoftware.com/products/device-creation/windows-ce

Assuming you're doing this as an open source project, the package can be
found here:

http://www.qtsoftware.com/downloads/opensource/appdev

> > Doing the same for Windows CE shouldn't be significantly harder,
> > assuming that whoever does it has access to all the right tools.
>
> Ok, so, what are the needed tools?

Take a look at these pages:

http://www.qtsoftware.com/products/device-creation/requirements/embedded-system-requirements
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/requirements-wince.html

It looks like you will need Visual Studio plus an SDK to build Qt from source
for Windows CE, and I imagine you'll need to build Python, SIP and PyQt with
the same tools. I don't develop on Windows, so I've no idea what the issues
are when it comes to getting all these to work together.

If I were you, I would start by trying to get a working Qt library and Python
interpreter for the device you have, then try to build SIP and PyQt bindings
for QtCore.

David