[PyQt] PyQt for 64-bit Python on Windows

Matt Newell newellm at blur.com
Mon Feb 16 20:26:01 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 23:12:15 Dave Doty wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:04 AM, Phil Thompson
>
> <phil at riverbankcomputing.com>wrote:
> > > The file c:\programs\Python26\include\Python.h does exist, with read
> > > permissions enabled, so I assumed that the inability to find it was
> >
> > either
> >
> > > an error in the build scripts, or my own misunderstanding of how to use
> > > them.
> >
> > Are you using Cygwin or just MinGW? I think Cygwin has given lots of
> > problems in the past.
>
> It's cygwin; that might explain the problems.
>
> > > In either case, a pre-compiled binary distribution of PyQt for
> > > Windows
> > > running 64-bit Python would allow me to skip all this. Is there such a
> > > package?
> >
> > Not to my knowledge.
> >
> > > Is it necessary to get one if I cannot build PyQt (or SIP) on my own?
> > > Or should it be possible to use this distribution:
> >
> > http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Downloads/PyQt4/PyQt-Py2.6-gpl
> >-4.4.4-2.exe
> >
> > > with 64-bit Python 2.6.1, through some other configuration trick?
> >
> > I doubt it.
> >
> > Phil
>
> Thank you for the information. It looks like wxPython is a better choice
> for my project, since it has a Windows installer that works out of the box
> with 64-bit Python.
>
> Dave

Qt and PyQt work fine with 64 bit windows but I've been unable to get a
working Qt so far with mingw-w64.  I've had success with visual studio 2005
and could provide installers.  I will need a few days though as I am busy
with other things atm.

Unless it's a very small trivial project I would think the effort of compiling
Qt and PyQt is well worth the effort compared to using wxPython.  I haven't
looked a wxPython in a while though...

Matt