[PyQt] Any Large PyQt Projects?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 23:44:16 GMT 2009

Brent Villalobos wrote:
> I'm looking for examples from people who have written large PyQt
> applications and I would like to hear your opinions on what worked
> well and what did not specifically with choosing python over C/C++.
> In particular, how does your python application handle tasks that
> require a lot of computation?  How does it handle multiple thread
> performance given python's limitations on only running on one CPU
> (global interpreter lock)?
just found this in another newsgroup

A Python *program* can utilize more than one core, just Python *code*
can't run on multiple cores in parallel. Everytime a C function calls
code that doesn't use the Python API it can chose to release the GIL.
That way a Python program can wrap a library and use as many cores as
possible.

> I don't need too much detail (obviously nothing proprietary), but I
> just want to know if anyone has any "red flags" that people should be
> aware of before writing a large python gui app with things like openGL
> contexts and heavy mathematical computation?
>
> Let's make this interesting and see who has written the largest PyQt
> application.  How many lines of code are we talking about?  10,000?
> 100,000? 1,000,000!!!!???
although not in PyQt but in wxPython:  PyLab_Works, 100.000+, rockstable !