[PyQt] Any Large PyQt Projects?

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Fri Feb 20 17:54:55 GMT 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:33:57 -0800, Brent Villalobos wrote:
> I'm looking for examples from people who have written large PyQt
> applications and I would like to hear your opinions on what worked well
> and what did not specifically with choosing python over C/C++.  In
> particular, how does your python application handle tasks that require a
> lot of computation?  How does it handle multiple thread performance
> given python's limitations on only running on one CPU (global
> interpreter lock)?  I don't need too much detail (obviously nothing
> proprietary), but I just want to know if anyone has any "red flags" that
> people should be aware of before writing a large python gui app with
> things like openGL contexts and heavy mathematical computation?

I'm the project lead of openlp.org, and open source lyrics projection
program for churches, and we're developing version 2.0 in PyQt4. Python
allows us to very easily implement a plugin system, so that others can
write plugins to extend the application's capabilities. We also chose Qt4
because it's cross platform, and it's a really mature and feature-rich GUI
library.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/