[PyQt] Making application look more sexy

Daniel O'Connor darius at dons.net.au
Mon Jan 5 13:15:07 GMT 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009 21:20:04 Filip Gruszczyński wrote:
> > Qt applications look as other applications on user desktop - they use
> > user choosen themes and colors. On GNOME with qgtkstyle they can use
> > GTK+ style and look like any other GNOME app. You should avoid forcing
> > application look, as user may want to use different set of colors or
> > theme :)
>
> I understand that well. I am just afraid that my application looks
> dull and boring. It's supposed to be a tool for rpg enthusiasts, and
> while I will never be able to compete with professional tools from
> Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro actually), which can hire artists and
> pimp their apps, I would like to try make mine a bit more appealing.

Speaking as a user (not of RPG stuff like this but other tools) I absolutely
HATE it when they try and make their app "stand out" by violating all of the
design guides for $PLATFORM.

Usually they make the app significantly harder to use and it doesn't really
look any better after you've sat and used it for a week.

Worse still is when they try and emulate the look of some real world
device - "oh I am making a media player, I'll ignore the fact the PC has a
much better display and input device and make it look like a CD player!"

If you absolutely think it's going to make a difference at least have
a "normal" skin that looks like it's supposed to ;)

As you can guess this is one of my pet peeves.. :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum