[PyQt] Deploying from Linux to Windows

Doug Hackworth doug.hackworth at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Jan 16 17:53:45 GMT 2009

Greetings, everyone.  Please excuse this question's elementary nature... Neither
web searching nor experimentation has yielded a solution thus far, and doubtless
someone here will be able to answer it right away.

I have developed a PyQt4 application on my Ubuntu machine, and it works fine, no
problems.  Now I want another user to be able to use it on his Windows XP
machine, so on his computer I do the following, in this order:

1.  Install Python 2.6
2.  Install the PyQt4 for Python 2.6

Both installations were successful, and I can run the PyQt example programs that
are installed.  Also I can see, in the Python installation directory, that
Lib/site-packages/PyQt4 exists and has appropriate-looking stuff in it.

And yet -- I bet you can see this coming -- I cannot get my application to
execute.  Doubleclicking on my_app.py produces an instantaneously visible DOS
shell and no application, and renaming the file to my_app.pyw also has no effect
(less the flashing DOS shell).  Entering a DOS shell and trying to run the
program from there by means of a "python my_app.py" command simply results in:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "my_app.py", line 2, in <module>
     from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
ImportError: No module named PyQt4

So is this merely an issue of an undefined PYTHONPATH variable, or similar?  I
was expecting that things in Lib/site-packages would be automatically visible to
Python...  Is this not the case?

I'm sure I'm missing something very simple.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Doug