[PyQt] Preferred method to package PyQt-powered apps into .exes

eliben eliben at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 14:55:58 GMT 2009

Hello,

I'll want to package my applications into .exe files, on Windows. Which of
the existing options in the Python exe-packaging world works best for PyQt?
PyInstaller? Py2exe? Something else?

I'm concerned with reliability of packaging (wanting to distribute to PCs
that have nothing installed on them - no Python, no PyQt), and the size of
the resulting executable. I imagine the PyQt exes must be large... I've
heard about UPX compression - does it work well for PyQt? Which packager
does it work with? Doesn't the compression make loading of the .exe
considerably longer?

Thanks in advance,
Eli