[PyQt] best dvcs

Henrik Pauli henrik.pauli at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 10:31:57 BST 2009

On Saturday 04 July 2009 10:45:42 Michał Andrzej Woźniak wrote:
> Dnia sobota 04 lipiec 2009, patx napisał(a):
> > I am a PyQt4 developer. I was wondering what DVCS most PyQt4 people are
> > using (Mercurial, git, Bazzar)? Thanks.
>
> I am using Bazaar on a few servers (currently circa 20 active contributors
> altogether, and rising; will be moving 50+ users from SVN during next
> month probably) and am very satisfied. It's simple to use, extremely
> simple to set-up, accessible through HTTP/HTTPS/ SFTP, FTP and whatnot,
> plays nice - albeit with the help of a plugin - with Trac (great
> wiki/bugtracker/project management engine - http://trac.edgewall.org).

I prefer Mercurial myself, but also used git a few times for simple things.

Both of those are easily accessible through various protocols, but I don’t
know about the trac integration (can't stand that issue tracker for some
reason; I do recommend Redmine, has support for all three DVCS mentioned and
its SVN integration is great too).  Mercurial can serve itself quite simply on
HTTP as a webpage, I really like that feature.

> Plus, people coming from SVN will feel at home, as almost all commands
> (bzr ci, bzr co, bzr up...) are the same as in svn.

This is one of the things I love in Mercurial, too :)

> Of course, I would suggest trying out other options (although as far as I
> have read on Teh Intertubes, git can be mighty frustrating - anyody any
> thoughts on this?) to see, which fits you best.

git loves to expose the plumbing, even though they always emphasise how people
shouldn't use that unless they really need to.  Not very fond of needing to
dig in things, myself.  I think software should be about making common things
easy and hard things possible, and even though git makes nearly everything
possible (including Linus not calling you a moron for using SVN anymore), it
certainly doesn't fulfill the first part.