[PyQt] (newbie) PyQt module namespaces

Imre "Public" Tuske imre.tuske at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 15:53:03 BST 2009

Hi,

I'm just beginning to experiment with PyQt, and I'm new to both Python
and QT (although have experience both with OO programming and UI
toolkits -- I mostly used the Fox toolkit, similar to QT in many
respects). My question is about the importing of the PyQt namespaces.

I'm aware of it is recommended and more 'by-the-book' to import the
various modules by preserving their namespaces (so the appropriate
objects will be prefixed with their respective module names, such as
QtGui.QApplication(...)).

However I'd be rather comfortable with importing them to the global
namespace, so I wouldn't have to prefix everything (I know I'm a
stubborn one and despite all advice, I'd found the resulting code more
readable :)).

So, apart from the fact that it would be a non-pythonic heresy, is
there any danger of importing all PyQt sub-modules into the global
namespace? Is there a risk of say name collisions between the various
sub-modules or any other thing that I should be aware of?

imre

--
[ Imre Tuske | http://blueriviera.wordpress.com/ | mailto:imre.tuske at gmail.com ]

 " On a horse made of crystal he patrolled the land
   With a mason ring and schnauzer in his perfect hands "