[PyQt] Use newer version of qt

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Sun Jul 26 10:32:01 BST 2009

Am Sonntag, 26. Juli 2009 schrieb Jesse Aldridge:
> I ran make install on the Qt 4.5.2 source.  It installed to
> "/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.5.2".  Ubuntu 9.04 comes with qt 4.5.0, which
> is installed in "/usr".  What's a clean way to make my pyqt programs use
> the 4.5.2 version of Qt?

Use your distribution way of installing things (e.g. build deb packages) or
suffer!

Your best bet is to learn, how to install and build from deb source
packages, and then replace the tar balls, adjust versions in build script
and probably the patches..

Let's take a look from a car mechanic POV: you're trying to add another
engine - but how to attach the gearbox with both engines and how to shift
gears, etc..? Ever saw anything alike? You will want to _replace_ the
engine, and since Qt is a nice citizen (at least within major release),
this should be possible without recompiling every bit of software depending
it!

Alternatively, you may want to search for services, which provide current
packages for your distribution. Chances are good, that there are the
matching qscintilla, sip and PyQt packages (because these are attached so
tightly, that they should be compiled against the exact Qt version).

Pete