[PyQt] PyQt4 for Python 3

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Wed Jun 10 10:05:57 BST 2009

<list at qtrac.plus.com>

>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've started converting the examples for "Rapid GUI Programming with
>> > Python and Qt" to Python 3. I've only hit two problems, one of which I
>> > think is a PyQt bug.
>> >
>> > (1) Bug?
>> >     Every .ui file converted by pyuic4 gives me an error message like
> [snip]
>>
>> I can't reproduce this. Any chance you were hitting the tab order bug
and
>> not noticing and the .py file was truncated?
>
> Yes, that is exactly what happened, so presumably the fix will be in the
> next snapshot as per your off-list email.

Yes (ie. the current snapshot).

> D'you know when the next actual release will be? I have converted the
> book's examples but don't want to upload them until I can specify a
> version of PyQt for which they'll work (i.e., one that has the tab order
> bug fixed), and that is a proper release rather than just a snapshot.

I plan new releases of PyQt 3, PyQt 4 and SIP this weekend. PyQt 3 and SIP
have minor regressions (but regressions none the less). Given they need
releases I may as well release PyQt 4 with the tab order fix for Python 3
as well.

>> > (2) Behaviour change.
>> >     QImageReader.supportedImageFormats() and
>> >     QImageWriter.supportedImageFormats() both return a list of
>> >     QByteArrays. With Python 2 you can convert each QByteArray to a
>> >     unicode string like this:
>> > 	text = unicode(byte_array)
>> >     If you change this for Python 3 version to:
>> > 	text = str(byte_array) # str is Unicode in Python 3
>> >     it will "work", but the string you'll get back will be the repr,
>> >     e.g., "PyQt4.QtCore.QByteArray(b'bmp').
>> >     For Python 3 I'm now doing it like this:
>> > 	text = byte_array.data().decode("ascii") # text == "bmp"
>> >     I'm not saying this is the best way, just a way that works.
>>
>> Given that Python 3 wants you to be explicit about encodings then it
>> doesn't seem unreasonable that you have to do this.
>>
>> Happy to debate this as it is the most difficult area of the Python 3
>> support.
>
> There are very few places in the Qt API where QByteArrays are returned,
> so I don't think it is a problem calling .data().decode("ascii") on them
> or writing a trivial strListFromByteArray() function when they are. I
> only mentioned it so that people are aware of the difference from how it
> is done in Python 2.

It would have been better if those methods returned a QString.

> I found the conversion of the book's examples to Python 3 pretty easy,
> with no nasty surprises or problems, although it was a bit tedious since
> I did them all by hand.
>
> Of course PyQt still has both QString and QVariant---so there is still
> the need for annoying conversions, but at least getting rid of them is
> on the roadmap.

That is the subject of the next round of development - though 75% of the
work has already been done.

> PS I think that QUrl is a good candidate for having __hash__.

The problem is that (unlike the other candidates) QUrl is not supported by
qHash() which means that I'd have to invent a hash function. This would
then cause potential problems if QUrl support was added to qHash() at a
later date. It would be better to persuade Nokia to add the support to
qHash().