[PyQt] qtdirs.app can't load QtCore

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Thu Jun 25 22:12:17 BST 2009

Hi Phil,

Phil Thompson wrote:
> I've built and installed Qt in a non-standard directory and PyQt has no
> problems with it.

BTW, I want to thank you for making that kind of effort.  I know it
takes quite awhile to build Qt from source!

Anyway, I've temporarily given up on using a custom-compiled,
relocatable Qt and just want to get PyQt built.  I'm wondering if it's
possible to build sip and PyQt within a virtualenv linked to a
Python.framework build?

I notice there is code in sip to try and prevent that, but I didn't see
any comments about why it won't work.  So for grins, I tried commenting
out the check for "Python.framework" in sys.executable and building
sip.  It builds just fine.  I packaged it in a relocatable egg, and
added a post-install script to fixup the _pkg_config dictionary in
sipconfig.py when the egg is installed.  There don't seem to be any
other paths to fix up in any other text file, nor any lib references in
macho headers.

I then tried to build PyQt with the following configuration command:

python configure.py --trace --verbose --confirm-license
  -b /Users/dpeterson/py/qtbuild/tmp/PyQt-4.5.1-1/install/bin
  -d /Users/dpeterson/py/qtbuild/tmp/PyQt-4.5.1-1/install
  -p /Users/dpeterson/py/qtbuild/tmp/PyQt-4.5.1-1/install/plugin
  -v /Users/dpeterson/py/qtbuild/tmp/PyQt-4.5.1-1/install/sip

which runs just fine.   But the actual build dies with the following
error output.  Could this be related to trying to build PyQt within a
virtualenv?  Or is it simply something wrong with my sip install?  Or is
there some mismatch between PyQt 4.5.1, sip 4.8.1, and Qt 4.5.1 on OS X?

g++ -c -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Os -fPIC -Wall -W -DQT_NO_DEBUG
-DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED
-I/usr/local/Qt4.5/mkspecs/macx-g++ -I.
-I/Library/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/Headers
-I/usr/include/QtCore
-I/Library/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/Headers
-I/usr/include/QtGui -I/usr/include
-I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/4.3.0/include/python2.5
-I/Users/dpeterson/py/qtbuild/install/sip-4.8.1-1.egg/EGG-INFO/usr/include
-I../../QtCore -I. -I. -F/Library/Frameworks -o qpycore_chimera.o
qpycore_chimera.cpp
qpycore_chimera.cpp: In member function ‘bool
Chimera::parse_cpp_type(const QByteArray&)’:
qpycore_chimera.cpp:392: error: too few arguments to function
make[2]: *** [qpycore_chimera.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

-- Dave