[PyQt] PyQT4 w/ Phonon Performance Problems

comsatcat comsatcat at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:13:30 GMT 2009

Hello,

I've been playing with the idea of developing a multi video display system
using phonon and pyqt.  I've written some prototype code using a
QGraphicsView along with QGLWidget for the viewport.  I'm getting pretty
poor performance (1fps on average) when displaying more then 2 or 3 videos
on Linux (yes my direct rendering is conigured correctly) and on Windows.
Ideally I'd like to be able to display up to 13 videos at a time, one being
in a larger QGraphicsView (with audio) while the others are displayed in
thumbnai llike configurations.

I've pastebin my code at http://pastebin.ca/1362335

In a nutshell I'm looking for tips for managing performance when displaying
large video files from multiple sources (QUrl based, generally http:// urls)
a long with local video feeds (from local files) and from streaming input
sources (such as webcams and tv tuners).

Right now when I load a large video file from a local file system (700+MB)
it acts as if its loading the entire file or a large junk of it in memory...
I don't get a large aount of memory usage in my app, however when I monitor
the CPU usage it spikes to 100% utilization for the python process running
the code (this also happens when displaying multiple smaller videos (50MB).
Am I not doing something I should be or is pyqt4 + phonon just not up to par
when dealing with multiple video sources at a single time?

Just some background on the system I'm using as it may be applicable.. its a
1.6GHz Intel Atom processor, 1GB ram, Intel video card (3d configured
correctly).  Python 2.6 w/ PyQT 4.4.4.2 on Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10, native
package not build from source) in Linux, and Python 2.6 w/ PyQT 4.4 on
Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks,
Ben