[PyQt] Re: PyQt Licensing

Alberto Berti alberto at metapensiero.it
Thu May 7 04:58:12 BST 2009

>>>>> "A Corsaire" == A Corsaire <corzaire at gmail.com> writes:

    Phil>> First off, many thanks for not pestering me about this - it is
    Phil>> greatly appreciated.
    Phil>>
    Phil>> In a nutshell, the PyQt licensing will not be changed in the
    Phil>> short term.

    Corsaire>  that Python misses out on PyQt becoming
    Corsaire> the de-facto standard GUI library we sorely
    Corsaire> need.

Differently from you, i'm  quite fine with PyQt licensing as it is now
and i hope that Phil will have time and resources to continue its great
work.

What's i don't understand is the reason for not publishing a read only
repository with the gpl code and even better also a bugtracker that
allows developers and distribution packagers to track bugs and if and
when their fix was applied to the sources.

It seems to me that this would be a great help for the community and
little effort for Phil and co. and the same time i don't see how it can
damage Phil's business.

The question raised already, but never receved a response.

If this is just a problem about resources to setup and maintain it i can
help with this. I even checked the possibility to apply all the history
of the snapshots to a repo in the hope of tracking code changes, but
older snapshots where unavailable last time i tried. Phil, please, could
you share your thougts on this, frankly?

azazel