[PyQt] PyQt Licensing

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Tue May 12 07:32:32 BST 2009

Hello,

Phil Thompson wrote:
> In a nutshell, the PyQt licensing will not be changed in the short term.
>
> This is mainly a financial decision - I want to ensure that PyQt
> development, and that of other software, can still be funded. For the
> moment an least, making an LGPL version available would be too much of a
> risk - particularly as it would be impossible to reverse such a decision if
> it proved to be a mistake - but it is something that I will continually
> review.

Thanks for the clarification. This is a position that I can understand
and respect. There are at least a few people who would like to see a
LGPL and supported SIP + PyQt, but realistically there are more like two
options or outcomes: 1) Current situation with a supported and developed
SIP + PyQt, or 2) LGPL SIP + PyQt but unsupported and undeveloped. I
don't see a lot of people putting their hand up to do bindings
development (see QtJambi). From a Free Software point of view, a support
GPL SIP + PyQt is a lot more useful than an unsupported LGPL version.
Closed source wise, I don't have a problem with the idea that you should
pay for the tools that are helping you develop and make money with your
own software.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/