[PyQt] Re: Python 2.5, 2.6 ?

Joshua Kugler joshua at joshuakugler.com
Wed May 20 20:42:46 BST 2009

Phil Thompson wrote:
>> So far, scipy and matplotlib do not have a distribution for python 2.6
>> It seems that we cannot upgrade to 2.6...

OP: Is there something that keeps you from compiling those packages
yourself?

> The Python 2.5 installer will be kept for the foreseeable future - but it
> won't be updated when new versions of PyQt are released.

Phil: Just wondering why this is the case?  2.5 is still quite active and
used "in the wild" with 2.6 not all that wide spread yet.  Especially with
distributions that have LTS-type support (e.g. Ubuntu 8.04) which will be
supported on the desktop for two more years.  In that time, there won't be
any upgrade to 2.6.