[PyQt] Re: Problem after upgrade to PyQt 4.6.2

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Mon Nov 23 12:26:01 GMT 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 13:58:00 +0100, detlev <detlev at die-offenbachs.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after upgrading to PyQt4 4.6.2 (from 4.6.1) I get error messages like
>
> QVariant::save: unable to save type 256.
> QVariant::load: unable to load type 256.
>
> What does this mean? With 4.6.1 everything was ok.

I don't think it has anything to do with v4.6.2.

Although any object can be converted to and from a QVariant it is not true
that any QVariant can be saved to and loaded from files.

My guess is that you have written a value (at some time in the past) that
can't be saved and not noticed the Qt error message. Note that QSettings
still writes a value in this case.

There is a bug (fixed in tonight's snapshot) where an exception isn't
raised when QSettings tries to read an unreadable value, but this bug has
been there since PyQt v4.5.

For v4.7 I will add support for saving and loading objects that can be
pickled - but that still won't cover all objects.