[PyQt] PyQt installation on mac os x 10.6 fails

Jack Thomas jetak.null at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 08:56:23 GMT 2009

I hope this is the correct place to ask for help installing PyQt.

I have been trying to install PyQt on Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro with
little success. I have been following the guide
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/PyQt4/pyqt4ref.html#configuring-sip-and-pyqt-for-macos-10-6-snow-leopard.
I installed SIP from source using the --arch i386 option. I installed QT4
from a .dmg downloaded from http://qt.nokia.com/products. And then I
attempted to install PyQt from source using the --use-arch=i386 option. The
configure and make steps both exit with no errors but sudo make install
exits with the following error:

g++ -headerpad_max_install_names -arch i386 -single_module -dynamiclib -o
> libpythonplugin.dylib pluginloader.o moc_pluginloader.o
> -F/Library/Frameworks -L/Library/Frameworks -framework Python -framework
> QtDesigner -framework QtScript -framework QtXml -framework QtGui -framework
> Carbon -framework AppKit -framework QtCore -lz -lm -framework
> ApplicationServices
> ld: warning: in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Python, file is not of
> required architecture
> Undefined symbols:
>   "_Py_Initialize", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>   "_PyLong_AsVoidPtr", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>   "_PyErr_Print", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::getModuleAttr(char const*, char const*)in
> pluginloader.o
>       PyCustomWidgets::getModuleAttr(char const*, char const*)in
> pluginloader.o
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>   "_PyString_FromString", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>   "_PyType_IsSubtype", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>   "_PyModule_GetDict", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>   "_PyObject_CallObject", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>   "_PyObject_CallFunctionObjArgs", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>   "_PyList_Append", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>   "_PyType_Type", referenced from:
>       _PyType_Type$non_lazy_ptr in pluginloader.o
>   "_Py_IsInitialized", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>   "_PyDict_Next", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>   "_PyImport_ImportModule", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::getModuleAttr(char const*, char const*)in
> pluginloader.o
>       PyCustomWidgets::PyCustomWidgets(QObject*)in pluginloader.o
>   "_PyObject_GetAttrString", referenced from:
>       PyCustomWidgets::getModuleAttr(char const*, char const*)in
> pluginloader.o
> ld: symbol(s) not found
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [libpythonplugin.dylib] Error 1
> make: *** [install] Error 2

I currently have Python 2.5.2 installed. I am currently downloading version
2.6.4 and try again. If there is any more info needed, please ask.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Jason