[PyQt] QT required or only PyQT is sufficient?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Mon Nov 30 17:42:22 GMT 2009

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:28:11 +0100, Mrugesh Chauhan <mrch81 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have one very basic doubt.
>
> **- Is PyQt sufficient or do I need to install Nokia QT also to develop
> with
> my GUI?

If you use a PyQt source package you will need to get an appropriately
licensed copy of Qt.

If you use the GPL binary installer for Windows then it includes a copy of
the LGPL version of Qt. Your application license must be compatible with
the GPL and the LGPL.

> - Or is it that PyQt is a wrapper and includes NokiaQT with it? In that
> case, I might have license issues with Nokia if I sell application
> developed
> by PyQt, right?

The license you use with your application must be compatible with the Qt
license and the PyQt license you choose.