[PyQt] Re: How to show maps in GUI and get coordinates with clicks

Echavarria Gregory, Maria Angelica m.echavarriagregory at umiami.edu
Tue Oct 6 15:22:37 BST 2009

Hugo thanks for your answer, however:

The QGraphicsView widget and subclass for the scene were already created, and the main image displays good. I'm looking for help for getting georeferenced-display of the foreground (on top of the previous)... I have a collection of GeoTIFF maps (NOAA nautical charts, that already have the "hotspot info" Hugo talks about, as raster data).
Last night I found QGIS, a Geographic Information System with GDAL and GRASS bindings for PyQt. As far as I have read, I can convert my code in a "plugin" for the geographic information attached in the geoTIFFs to be captured and manipulated - STILL READING TO LEARN THOUGH -

Am I in a good track? Does someone has another idea or recommendation? Am I right with the usefulness of QGIS?

Thanks,

M. Angelica Echavarria-Gregory
Ph.D Candidate
University of Miami