[PyQt] question about installation best practices on OS X

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Oct 19 04:04:51 BST 2009

By default (as you've noticed), SIP and PyQt install their binary
executables in the framework.  This is fine for the python.org Python,
but installing in the system frameworks is not quite proper.

What I do for SIP and PyQt and the system python is specify a custom
bin (and site-packages and other files) location in configuration:

SIP:

python configure.py -n -d /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages -b /usr/
local/bin -e /usr/local/include -v /usr/local/share/sip --arch=i386 -s
MacOSX10.6.sdk

PyQt:

export QTDIR=/Developer/Applications/Qt
python configure.py -d /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages -b /usr/local/
bin --use-arch=i386