[PyQt] How to speed up "single stepping"?

OldGrantonia OldGrantonian at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 08:29:53 BST 2009

As an amateur weekend dabbler, I find that the easist way to learn how a
program works is to step through the program using an IDE debugger. I
provide any "user input" when required.

Using breakpoints is obviously the best way to step over code that doesn't
interest me. My problem is that in some large programs, it's not obvious
where to set breakpoints. This means that at a "waiting for input" state, I
can provide some user input, click "Start" and the program runs to the next
"waiting for input" state. So my breakpoints are never being hit, because
they're not in the correct code locations.

It would be great if I could find a tool that would allow me to start at a
specified line of code, and then "Step in" 1,000 times, or "Step over" 1,000
times, and write the 1,000 lines of code to a file. I can then examine the
output file to see where I could have inserted a breakpoint.

Does anyone know if such a tool is available?