[PyQt] question about installation best practices on OS X

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Oct 20 02:50:55 BST 2009

Hmm, Macports.  It's great for those who want a familiar packagae-
manager setup or just don't want to get their fingers dirty compiling
source.  It adds itself to your PATH and can cause trouble for non-
Macports builds (getting wrong versions of tools in the system, like
GNU vs. BSD versions, wrong libs linked).  I don't mean to start a
debate over it, just pointing out that you might want to look at
trying to do things the Mac way first, like installers where available.

Python does have up-to-date installers for a more Mac-standard Python
framework install.

On Oct 19, 2009, at 8:36 PM, Darren Dale wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Robert Bobbson <rbobbson at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> Even if you don't use macports for pyqt, you might consider it for
>> managing a whole slew of other apps, just like you would on a linux
>> box or a windows+cygwin box.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I have been using Gentoo for about 5 years
> and Ubuntu for 2, and am trying macports now.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy