[PyQt] help with designer plugin for custom widget.

Josh jknox at irobot.com
Thu Apr 8 23:03:38 BST 2010

Josh wrote:
> I've got a Qt widget and a PyQt binding. I want to make a Designer
> plugin for it.
>
> I have a Designer plugin as a C++ class. It works fine, I can add it
> to layouts, etc.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that my PyQt binding will not work to load
> the C++ class when added via the C++ designer plugin?
>
> I have been trying to make a PyQt designer plugin by subclassing
> QPyDesignerCustomWidgetPlugin but I cant get designer to load it.
>
> I tried placing the pyqt plugin in directories specified in both
> QT_PLUGIN_PATH & PYQTDESIGNERPATH but it never shows up.
>
> I suspect I'm not putting it in the right place, but I'm not sure.
> designer doesn't indicate any errors.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on what to check?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Josh
Some more info...

In Designer->help->about plugins i see that libpythonplugin.so is
listed, along with the example plugins, and my c++ plugin. My python
plugin is not listed.

I tried copying all of the PyQt plugin examples into designer's plugin
dir. They all show up in designer. So PyQt plugins are working, except
for mine.

My python plugin is in the same directory as the rest but it never even
gets byte-compiled, so obviously nothing is loading it. Everything else
has a .pyc after it gets loaded. FWIW, the permissions are also the same
as the other plugins.

I compared my plugin code to the examples and the code looks fine.

I'm totally stumped! ;)

Thanks for any help,

Josh