[PyQt] Porting PyQt GUI between platforms.

Henning Schröder henning.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 18:19:09 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Algis Kabaila <akabaila at pcug.org.au> wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 August 2010 17:53:29 Raoul Snyman wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:21:48 +1000, Algis Kabaila <akabaila at pcug.org.au>
>>
>> wrote:
>> > On Tuesday 03 August 2010 15:07:28 Raoul Snyman wrote:
>> > Actually, I was asking if Pyinstaller should preferably be run whilst on

>> > Linux Box or is it better on a Windows box?
>>
>> PyInstaller cannot "cross-compile". If you want to build a Windows
>> package, you have to do it on Windows.
>>
>> I haven't used PyInstaller on Linux, so I cannot say.
>
> Raoul,
>
> Thank you for the answer. I only have a need to port open source software from
> Linux to Windows, so your answer saves me from false starts.

I used PyInstaller to create Windows-EXE files under Linux without a
real Windows.
It can be done with Wine (http://www.winehq.org).
First you have to download the Python for Windows installer (If you
have downloaded the .MSI-file you can start the installer with
msiexec). Then you install all the other stuff (PyQt for Windows,
etc.). After that you can call Configure.py and Bulid.py with you
Python for Windows under Linux, e.g.
# ~/.wine/drive_c/Python26/python.exe ~/MyProject/PyInstaller/Configure.py

The only problem I had was related to some MSVCRT-DLLs. I can't
remember the details right now but I think you have to install the
native runtime or something like that.

Good luck!

Henning