[PyQt] Best way to implement a modular framework?

Bernard Van Der Stichele Bernard_VanDerStichele at otpp.com
Tue Aug 17 20:00:29 BST 2010

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice as to the best way of implementing an MDI -
like application which is modular.
i.e. I want to have a MainWindow host with a menu which dynamically loads
a list of modules available at start-up; where each module is simply a
different dialog window interface (QDialog). The idea is deploy my
application so that I may, in the future, expand its functionality by
adding new dialogs as needed (e.g. e-mailing the users one or more files
which can be dropped in the app directory)

My first simplistic idea was to have the host application look for
available ui_xxx.py files in the application directory at start-up to
populate the list of available dialogs, using a suitable naming
convention.

However, I ultimately need to deploy an executable host application to the
users and am not sure how if it still would allow me to load ui_xxx.py
files dynamically.

I welcome any suggestions ... there must be a much better way of building
a modular app..

Thanks for any advice.

Bernard.

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING
This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is confidential. If we sent this communication to you in error, please do not disclose it to anyone else or use the information in it. Please notify the sender of the transmission error and then delete our communication from your system without printing, copying or forwarding it.  Thank you for your co-operation.

AVERTISSEMENT CONCERNANT LE CARACTERE CONFIDENTIEL DE L'INFORMATION

Le present courriel, y compris toute piece qui y est jointe, est confidentiel. Si nous vous avons envoye cette communication par erreur, nous vous prions de ne la divulguer a personne ni a utiliser l’information qu’elle contient. Veuillez informer l’expediteur de l’erreur de transmission et effacer ensuite notre communication de votre systeme sans l’imprimer, ni la copier ni la retransmettre. Nous vous remercions de votre cooperation.