[PyQt] QDockwidget advice needed

fpp fpp.gsp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 20:36:16 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj at urpla.net> wrote:

> As you seem to be in the early stages of approaching Qt, you read Mark
> Summerfields book "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt" already? You
> don't? What a pity. Read it. And no, I'm not affiliated in any way to Mark
> nor P&H, other then I swore, that I will never miss books that he at least
> co-authored anymore.

I think this cannot be stressed enough for beginners. Mark's book is a
life-saver: for every hour you will spend studying it, you will save
days or weeks of puzzlement, web-scraping (for what little there is
outside this list...) and hair-pulling. Do yourself a favour and get a
copy...

> Next, it's quite helpful to create small test apps, that solely implement
> the detail you're exploring at the moment. You can't imagine, what a few
> lines of code of PyQt can do for you before practising this.

How true. My entire relationship with PyQt so far has been to write
heaps of code first and then spend hours trimming it back to the exact
one or two lines that are really necessary (see my recent question
about completers and models :-).

> Pete
> P.S.: You can hire me!

Danny, even if you don't hire Pete, do heed his advice, it's the best
you'll get ! :-)