[PyQt] QDockwidget advice needed

fpp fpp.gsp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 21:26:06 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:10 PM, danny <shevitz at lanl.gov> wrote:
> FWIW, I do have Mark Summerfield's book and I agree it is brilliant.
> However, he does not give an example of how to connect a dock window to a tree
> item. His examples include how to keep two widgets synchronized, but that is not
> my problem. The problem with the tree and dock window, is that the *object*
> changes in the dock window and that is not covered. Every time I click on a
> different tree node, do I need to dynamically connect the slots to synchronize
> and delete the old slot bindings? Is it better stylistically to map at the item
> level in the tree, or at the aggregate tree level? In other words do I hook up
> slots to the leaves of the tree or the tree itself?

I don't claim to be any more advanced than you are, but I must admit I
don't quite understand your question and what you want to do.

To me, dock widgets are just containers that you can move about, but
they don't _do_ anything themselves. Surely you need to place widgets
inside to display stuff and interact with it ?
Then you're back to the classic widget interaction, between the one in
your central widget and the one in your dock widget, no ?

My current project also has a central widget surrounded by a bunch of
dock widgets, but that's only Designer stuff. My code only concerns
itself with the widgets inside those containers, lists and edit lines
& such.