[PyQt] help: beforeUpdate QSqlRecord bus error

Scott Frankel frankel at circlesfx.com
Mon Aug 23 23:03:48 BST 2010

On Aug 23, 2010, at 2:18 PM, Baz Walter wrote:

> On 23/08/10 16:11, Scott Frankel wrote:
>>
>> Please excuse the re-post. I'm at a loss as to why executing a
>> QSqlRecord object's count() or isEmpty() method results in a bus
>> error
>> crash. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> i'm probably not going to be able to help you myself, but in any
> case i think you need to supply more information. here's what i get
> when i run your test script and click 'commit':
>
> [baz at localhost ~]$ python beforeUpdateTest.py
> createData() ...
> test() ... 0
> count:  3
> query:  SELECT "color_id", "name", "description" FROM color ORDER BY
> color."name" ASC
>
> so, it appears to work fine for me with the following linux setup:
>
> 	python 2.6.5, qt 4.6.2, sip 4.10.3, pyqt 4.7.4
>
> it might help if you posted details of your own setup, along with
> the exact output you get from running your test script.

Here is my shell output:

tiento:dvlp> python beforeUpdateTest.py
createData() ...
test() ... 0
Bus error

While the last line of output is the kicker, it's interesting that the
row number returned with the QSqlRecord is 0 when I run the app and 3
when you run it.  I have not provided any controls in this example for
navigating QDataWidgetMapper rows and have it set to load the first
entry in the database.

That the methodology I'm using seems to work with other configurations
is encouraging.  I'm running the sample code on my development
machine, which I'm having to keep at a lowest common denominator for
multiple users on disparate platforms.  That said, I'm developing on:

	OSX 10.5.8, Python 2.6.2, Qt 4.4.2, sip 4.7.7, PyQt 4.4.3

all of which I realize are old releases.  I'll keep looking and post
if/when I find a solution.

Thanks
Scott