[PyQt] dip model types, properties, and syntax

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 23:43:16 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Phil Thompson
<phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:27:55 -0400, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Phil Thompson
>> <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
>>>>>

> http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/dip/model_tutorial.html#attributes-are-properties

> exposed
> and

> may
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I can't think of a way to implement it. The problem
> arises
>>> because "name = Str" is allowed as a shortcut for "name = Str()" and
>>> there
>>> doesn't seem to be a way to implement (for example) getter() so that it
>>> can
>>> cope with the different cases.
>>
>> Hmm. What if BaseType or ValueType did something like:
>>
>>     @classmethod
>>     def property(cls, val):
>>         if type(val) == types.FunctionType:
>>             return property_factory(cls, getter=val)
>>         else:
>>             res = property_factory(cls, default=val)
>>             return res.getter
>>
>> That may let you do:
>>
>> class Test(model):
>>     @Str.property
>>     def name(self):
>>         return self._name
>>
>> or
>>
>> class Test(model):
>>     #provide the default:
>>     @Str.property('foo')
>>     def name(self):
>>         return self._name
>>
>> Is that a crazy idea?
>
> I don't like it because it doesn't follow the "standard" pattern you first
> mentioned. If we have to come up with a new pattern then I think the
> current one is better.

Yes, I see your point.

Is there any chance you would consider dropping support for the "name
= Str" syntax? This is just my opinion, but this syntax has always
seemed awkward, not very pythonic. "You must have wanted an instance
of this class, we'll take care of that for you" is kind of magical,
it's fairly unusual behavior for python. People familiar with python
but new to this pattern will look at "name = Str" and think "that
attribute is a class, not an instance of the class, how are the two
cases different?" Since an instance is what we are eventually going to
end up with anyway, and Str has to be called with parentheses when we
want to specify a static default value, maybe it would be clearer if
only the standard Str() were supported. Plus, it would provide an
opportunity to explore the decorator syntax, which may have additional
benefits.

Respectfully,
Darren