[PyQt] segfault using daily snapshot

Glenn Linderman v+pyqt at g.nevcal.com
Sat Dec 18 18:14:41 GMT 2010

On 12/18/2010 2:40 AM, Erik Janssens wrote:
> Maybe I should give a bit more background on the issue.  We
> have observed a number of segfaults with users of our application.
> What is strange is that this number is far higher with
> Windows 7 users.  Also, on Windows 7 the crashes seem more
> severe (push-the-button-time).  As this is the only segfault
> I'm able to produce with testing, I suspect it's this issue
> causing the Windows 7 segfaults, but that's not sure of course.

As a Windows 7 (64-bit) user since March, I can say that on Windows 7 I
have experienced a much higher rate of push-the-button crashes than on
the prior XP.  Most of them seem to be related to threading, Firefox,
and Flash, but after installing FlashBlocker, the rate of crashes
decreased, but didn't go to zero.  There are a few that do not correlate
with Firefox.  The reason I include threading in the mix, is that my
style of Firefox use is to have many tabs open concurrently, and I think
Firefox launches a thread (or maybe more) for each tab.

I have been extremely disappointed with Windows 7 because of these
crashes, my usual technique of reading Web sites while waiting for other
work to happen is made impossible, because the other work will get
crashed too, since Windows reboots the machine instead of just
terminating a process.

I'd be glad for any explanations of why it does that, although it is
straying off topic for this newsgroup.  But mentioning my experience
with Windows 7, seems relevant to the question above: it may not be an
application problem, nor a Qt problem, nor a PyQt problem, but a Windows
7 problem that makes crashes more frequent and more severe on Windows 7
than on other platforms.