[PyQt] Compilation at MacOS X

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Feb 11 14:48:19 GMT 2010

Compiling PyQt is mostly straightforward.  If you are getting to the stage of writing your own program, you've figured that out.

If you are using the system Python, it's not easy (if at all) to build something that will work on 10.5.  That's because Apple builds their Python with a deployment target to match the system, and when you set your deployment target to 10.5 and use the 10.5 system SDK, python headers complain.

I don't think there is anything you can do when compiling PyQt to change this.  You would have to use a Python installed from python.org in /Library/Frameworks.  Those are built with a 10.4 (or earlier?) deployment target.

There is also the lowest common denominator problem - you'd have to build for Python 2.5 on OSX 10.6.  You'd lose any small benefit of Python 2.6 on OSX 10.6, and since 2.6 is default you'd have to run your program explicitly from 'python2.5' instead of 'python'.

Apple made it hard to make binary python modules that work on older OSX systems.