[PyQt] Different Behavior between Python 2.6 and Python 3.1.1

Richard Parker r.richardparker at comcast.net
Tue Jan 12 22:44:53 GMT 2010

I have the following statement in an application that runs fine with Python 2.6 (and PyQt):

text = self.ui.txtText.text().left(5).toUpper()

In Python 3.1.1 (with PyQt), I get the following error for the first statement:

" text = self.ui.txtText.text().left(5).toUpper()
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'left' "

The "ui.txtText.text" object is a QLineEdit object, whose documentation indicates that its "text()" function returns a QString object, whose documentatation states that the "left( self , n)" and "toUpper() functions are supported. What has changed between Python 2.6 and Python 3.1 that would account for this error?

Thanks.