[PyQt] Bug: control-( generates no key event in PyQt demo

Edward K. Ream edreamleo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 09:19:24 GMT 2010

This is a follow up to my report "Strange key event problem", given in
full in the post script.

- Open PyQt demo on Windows 7.
- Launch Text Object demo from Rich Text menu.
- Observe that ctrl-9,ctrl-0, and ctrl-shift-9 generate key events,
but that ctrl-shift-0 does not.

This is a serious issue for my app.

Edward

P.S.  Original report follows:

On Windows 7, no key press event is generated for Ctrl-), that is,
Ctrl-Shift-0. An event *is* generated for Ctrl-(, that is,
Ctrl-Shift-9.

The keyboard is a Microsoft ergonomic 4000 keyboard. This was such a
strange thing that I tried two other keyboards, with the same results.

This happens when running qt version 4.5.3, Python 2.6.4.

This problem does *not* happen either on Ubuntu or, iirc, on Windows XP.

My app's key handling is very complex, but all the complexity happens
after getting the key event.  Certainly there are no special cases
related to keys for binding the event filter.

This looks to be a bug in Qt or PyQt.  Any suggestions?

EKR
Edward K. Ream email: edreamleo at gmail.com