[PyQt] Embedding VLC

Chris Laux pyqt at wayoverthere.com
Mon Mar 1 18:16:41 GMT 2010

On Friday 26 February 2010, jaybstory wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I wanted to know if it is possible to embed VLC into a GUI (or to use
> QProcess to somehow open the external application inside a GUI), if so, how
> would I go about accomplishing this?
>
> Right now, I am using QProcess to open external applications which open in
>  a separate window.  I want to be able to have the application (VLC)
>  embedded within my GUI.
>
> Thank you in advance.

I made a prototype PyQt app that plays movies using MPlayer which displays the
video in a plain QWidget. It turns out to be very simple - just pass "-wid" to
mplayer and then the widget's .winId(). I'm using mpylayer (
http://code.google.com/p/mpylayer/ ) to control mplayer from the pyqt GUI. I
can post some code if you're interested. Also, this is on Linux, I haven't
tested on Win/Mac.

Just FYI.

--
-chris