[PyQt] pyqt does not find phonon (from kde.org) at build time

Matt Carlson mcarlson1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 20:52:15 GMT 2010

Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 07:21:34 -0600, Matt Carlson <mcarlson1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I think I'm having the same problem described in the message below
>> (or at least a similar one). I tried using the latest stable source
>> package for PyQt 4.7 and also the latest development snapshot (as of
>> Feb. 28). With both installations, I get an import error when I try to
>> use phonon. It seems to be the same problem with configure.py. When
>> configure.py runs it does not list phonon when "creating the makefile"
>> and "generating the C++ source."
>>
>> I'm not sure if the patch that solsTiCe included would fix my problem.
>> Using it is beyond my skill level. So, I searched around a little bit
>> more and found another person describing a similar problem with version
>> 4.6: http://trac.macports.org/ticket/22370. This led me to try
>> installing version 4.5, which got phonon working for me. I'm not sure
>> exactly what this means, but I'm guessing someone else might.
>>
>> Although version 4.5 should work fine for what I need to do, I spent a
>> while trying to figure out how to make 4.7 work. I checked (or tried to
>> check) if I had phonon installed with Qt, reinstalled some Qt libraries,
>> and tried listing phonon in the plugin configure.py option. It's very
>> likely this is still just a problem for me, but it seems like there's a
>> chance other people are still having this problem too. If anyone would
>> like to help me troubleshoot this, let me know what other information
>> you need. I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 and Python 2.5.2.
>>

> Running configure.py with the --verbose argument will tell you why it's
> failing to detect phonon.

I ran configure.py with the --verbose argument. This is what I got:

Checking to see if the phonon module should be built...
g++ -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_PHONON_LIB -I. -I/usr/mkspecs/linux-g++
-I/usr/include/qt4/phonon -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/X11R6/include -pipe
-O2 -w -D_REENTRANT cfgtest_phonon.cpp -o cfgtest_phonon -L/usr/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib -lphonon -lXext
-lX11 -lm -lpthread
cfgtest_phonon.cpp:1:30: error: phonon/VideoWidget: No such file or
directory
cfgtest_phonon.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
cfgtest_phonon.cpp:5: error: expected type-specifier before ‘Phonon’
cfgtest_phonon.cpp:5: error: expected `;' before ‘Phonon’

So, I patched line 367 as described in the original message about this
issue:

-        check_module("phonon", "Phonon/VideoWidget",
+        check_module("phonon", "phonon/videowidget.h",
                 "new Phonon::VideoWidget()")

That seemed to fix that problem, but then I got this error:

Generating the C++ source for the phonon module...
"/usr/bin/sip" -k -o -P -x VendorID -t WS_X11 -x PyQt_NoPrintRangeBug -t
Qt_4_4_1 -x Py_v3 -g -a phonon.api -c phonon -b phonon/phonon.sbf -I
/home/m/installation_files/PyQt-x11-gpl-snapshot-4.7.1-106919e3444b/sip
/home/m/installation_files/PyQt-x11-gpl-snapshot-4.7.1-106919e3444b/sip/phonon/phononmod.sip
sip: QVariantList is undefined
Error: Unable to create the C++ code.

I searched around for things related to QVariantList, but am very lost
on this one. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Matt