[PyQt] Python Commander in PyQt?

Glenn Linderman v+pyqt at g.nevcal.com
Thu Oct 14 00:59:11 BST 2010

  An off-group response caused me to realize that my original posting
wasn't clear on the environment in which I am working, nor my "real"
problem, but rather one step removed from that.  It is easy to fall into
the trap of asking for what you think you want, based on one's own
limited knowledge, ideas, and available solutions.  Here is a bit more
information:

There are two classes of users of my web site: normal users and queries
are by far the bulk of the requests, and the site has been optimized for
their needs, including transforming the data from its original sources
into a different form.  This is a reversible transformation, and lossless.

Then there are a smaller set of data suppliers.  They provide the data
in the original form, and then it is transformed for the site.  So to
make their job easier (and understandable), there is a need to provide
them with the original view of their data, in that form.  But storing it
in both forms requires too much space... I can keep enough metadata to
provide the appearance of their original data files, and it is no
problem to perform the queries to supply the data from their original
files when they request it, or to accept new data when they supply it.

So probably any protocol would work on the wire, FTP, SFTP, SCP, WebDAV,
etc., as long as I get to define to the server implementing that
protocol what the definition of a file is, in code, preferably Python
code, but Perl would be OK, if something similar enough preexists.

I went down the path of not finding a server implementation of any of
the well-known protocols that would allow a definition of fake files at
the back end.... except HTTP.  And I'm unable to obtain control of the
server ports to even run a non-standard server software if it does
exist, so I'm limited to HTTP as a transport protocol, although other
protocols could perhaps be proxied over HTTP, but then standard clients
probably can't be used either.  So then I started looking for front ends
that I could tweak to speak HTTP to a custom CGI script.  That's where I
started this thread, and why I picked this group to ask in, because I'd
find it useful and interesting educationally to tweak a PyQt front end,
instead of one written in some other environment.

I'm open to suggestions for tackling the problem from other directions,
though.