[PyQt] Help with PyQt licensing question

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Thu Oct 21 11:00:00 BST 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:40:53 +0200, Elias Bachaalany
<lallousz-pyqt4 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the following situation and need some help regarding licensing of

> PyQt.
>
> There is a main program (main.exe) that is extensible via plugins.
> main.exe does not know about the nature of its plugins.
>
> The plugins are general purpose, they can do many things to change the
> behavior of main.exe.
>
> main.exe is closed source.
>
> One plugin could be hosting LUA scripting language.
> Another plugin can be not related to scripting.
>
> There is yet another plugin (plgpython.dll) that hosts Python and is
> open source (with New BSD License). Since plgpython.dll hosts Python, it

> can also host PyQt.
>
> Now my question is: do we need a commercial license of PyQt if we own
> main.exe (paid for it) and use the open source / free plgpython.dll
> program to run PyQt scripts?

Yes - you cannot use the GPL version of PyQt in this context. Depending on
the nature of the application, your users may also require commercial
licenses. There are both commercial and technical means that can be used to
resolve this - contact me by email if you want to discuss them.