[PyQt] Help with PyQt licensing question

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Fri Oct 22 09:05:55 BST 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:12:23 -0500, Kyle Covington <kyle at red-r.org> wrote:
> What about the other way around?  Lets say that I'm working on an
> application that allows plugins.  My code is open sourced so anyone can
see
> how to make extensions.
>
> There would really be no way that I or any other project could prevent
> someone else from making a plugin that was closed sourced.  Is it
> my responsibility to somehow prevent others from making plugins?

First you have to define what you mean by "open source". Some open source
licenses are compatible with closed source licenses, others are not. So the
issue is license incompatibility.

Whether or not it is your responsibility to enforce the terms of your
license is determined by the license itself. I am not aware of, and would
be very surprised to find, any open source license that would place this
responsibility on you.

So the short answer to the question is "no".

> Or is it
> their responsibility to make sure that their code is open?  I lean to
the
> former myself, but I'm not a lawyer.
>
> Also thinking about Elias's question.  Windows is closed sourced and
> commercial.  Windows is used to open and run Python and Windows is able
> execute Python scripts which can run PyQt.  So by extension GPL should
not
> be allowed on a Windows computer???

I suggest you read the GPL and its FAQ.