[PyQt] Detecting which Python version is used by SIP and PyQt

Baz Walter bazwal at ftml.net
Sat Oct 23 21:35:36 BST 2010

On 23/10/10 20:04, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> On Saturday 23 October 2010, 19:28:34 Baz Walter wrote:
>> On 23/10/10 18:07, Phil Thompson wrote:

>>> That is unbelievably dumb.
>>
>> that was exactly my initial reaction. however, given arch's
>> philosophy, it does make sense.
>
> No idea, how this move could be labeled philosophy, since it is going to
> break nearly every 3rd party python software out there. In the end it
> only contributes to arch users isolation as it will always take arch
> specific patches to get legacy code working. No sane distribution will
> follow this pattern.

that's an extreme over-reaction - but if you are unsure how things work
on arch, it is perhaps understandable.

let me try to shed a little light on this.

arch is a rolling-release distro. updates are very frequent and
generally tend include the very latest, "bleeding-edge" versions.

when arch made the transition to python3, about 600 python-related
packages were updated in the process. these were all pre-complied binary
packages that are officially supported by the arch development team.

in addition to the repositories of supported packages, arch has an
unofficial repostitory maintained by the community. this consists of
build scripts which use arch's automated build system to install
unsupported, third-party software. the build system will resolve all
dependencies (using the same package management tools as the supported
packages), and then download, build and install the software from source
using the build scripts. this means that all installed software on the
system is handled by a single package management system. most arch users
will therefore actively avoid any do-it-yourself installation of
third-party software. if there is no unofficial package currently
available, they will either create it themselves, or make a request for one.

i hope this makes it obvious that any fears about breaking "nearly every
3rd party python software out there" are completely unfounded. when arch
users made the update which included the transition to python3 a few
days ago, the only things that broke were a handful of unofficial
packages and some scripts that users created themselves.

> I'm really sorry to have answered to this thread without understanding
> the full scope, and therefore even contributed to the confusion.
>
> As a consequence, I'm going to ignore each and every arch linux python
> compatibility issue, that may arise here.

such remarks are totally uncalled for (and, with respect, unworthy of you).

arch has been around for quite a while now and has a growing community
of very loyal users. it may do some things very differently, but at the
end of the day, it's just another linux distro.