[PyQt] Composite widgets?

Peter Milliken peter.milliken at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 02:13:29 BST 2010

Prior to embarking on learning PyQt, I wrote my GUI applications using
Tkinter and Pmw. The Pmw widget set is quite nice and provides a library of
composite classes using the Tkinter widgets.

My question is:

Is there any (similar) composite widgets in PyQt? i.e. Pmw has the
EntryField widget, which combines the (commonly used case) of a Label and a
LineEdit into the one class - much more convenient than always having to
specify the two entities separately, which seems to be the case with PyQt?
The EntryField widget offers far more than just conveniently creating a
Label and a LineEdit in the one class, it also allows definition of entry
validation as well, so you can see that the composite classes provide quite
a high level of functional behaviour to the user.

Pmw defines other composite widgets like: RadioSelect - which groups radio
buttons (well, you have the choice of defining it to handle radio buttons,
check buttons or "normal" buttons). Of course in PyQt I have found the
QGroupBox class, but this only performs a (small) part of what the Pmw
RadioSelect widget does.

Do such composite widgets exist? am I missing something in the PyQt
documentation?

Thanks
Peter