[PyQt] Problems with MSVC2008 build and MSVCR90.DLL

Hans Meine meine at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Sep 9 14:23:06 BST 2010

Hi,

I have successfully been using PyQwt under Windows by using binary packages
for Qt, python, NumPy, SIP, PyQt etc., using the MinGW compiler bundled with
Qt for compilation of PyQwt (and the bundled Qwt).

Now, I need to use the compiler that comes with Visual Studio 2008.
I have successfully compiled Qt, SIP, and PyQt myself (using the win32-
msvc2008 target), but I have used binary packages for Python and NumPy.
So far, I can import all modules and everything seems to be fine.

The problem comes with pyqwt's configure.py, which builds a
qwt_version_info.exe that it obviously wants to run; I am getting a
(translated, no exact wording) "qwt_version_info.exe - component not found /
Application could not be started, MSVCR90.DLL not found.." error by Windows.

Even without NumPy, the error remains, so my first theory is that this is
because Python is not built with the same compiler.  OTOH, a) I recall having
heard that it is compiled with MSVC2008, and b) nearly everybody seems to be
successfully using this binary package on Windows.

My second theory would be that my Qt installation is somehow broken; at least
depends.exe when run on QtCore.dll also complains about MSVCR90.dll missing.
Plus, I found some (rather old though) webpage noting that the Qt installation
fails to copy some manifest files which are needed to find the dependencies,
but I am not sure how much of this applies to my version (I am trying to
compile 4.5.3).

Does this ring any bells for someone here?

Have a nice day,
  Hans