[PyQt] Weird problem with QSystemTrayIcon

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Wed Sep 15 20:47:46 BST 2010

On Wednesday 15 September 2010, 20:34:12 Eric Frederich wrote:

> In the end, I wound up with a small sample application where for
> some reason I need to call QtGui.QGroupBox() with some string or I'll
> never see the system tray icon.
>
> Below is example code.
>
> If you remove the line ...
> self.WHY_DO_I_NEED_TO_DO_THIS = QtGui.QGroupBox("A")
> ... then I don't see any system tray icon.
>
> Can anyone else verify this?
> I'm on Linux 64 bit with Python 2.6.5 and PyQt 4.7.2.

I cannot confirm this with
Python version: 2.6
sip version: 4.10.5
Qt4 version: 4.6.3
PyQt4 version: 4.7.4

on openSUSE 11.1/i586 with KDE3 window manager.

and the code looks fine without your voodoo speel. I cannot imagine, why
this should make any difference.

Mind you checking the Qt4 example? (If it's not compiled already, a
"qmake && make" should do)

Pete