[PyQt] why do closeEvent and destroyed slot not get called on accepting PyQt4 QDialog?

Demetrius Cassidy dcassidy36 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 16:02:04 BST 2011

I truly believe you are approaching this from the wrong angle. If you need
to know when your QDialog is going away, you override closeEvent and do your
cleanup from there.

However, looking through the docs, it does not appear that destroy is
actually a signal. It's called from the QWidget dtor, so it makes sense that
if you call destroy(), you get the runtime error because you are deleting
the C++ object before the Python object. Do not call destroy yourself - call
self.close and override closeEvent. From there you can accept or reject
closing the dialog, and do any cleanup prior to your dialog being destroyed.

>From the Qt Docs:

void QWidget::destroy ( bool destroyWindow = true, bool destroySubWindows =
true ) [protected]

Frees up window system resources. Destroys the widget window if
destroyWindow is true.

destroy() calls itself recursively for all the child widgets, passing
destroySubWindows for the destroyWindow parameter. To have more control over
destruction of subwidgets, destroy subwidgets selectively first.

This function is usually called from the QWidget destructor.