[PyQt] Issue installing PyQt4 installer on Win

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Sun Apr 17 10:16:36 BST 2011

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:17:41 +0200, Detlev Offenbach
<detlev at die-offenbachs.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to install PyQt4 via the installer on an Windows machine as a
> normal
> user. The installation worked fine most of the way. However, it tried to

> install the menu for "All users". That failed due to missing permissions
> and
> the install stopped. I don't know what it would do therafter.
>
> When I tried to import a PyQt4 package in Python (from PyQt4 import
> QtCore) I
> got an error message because loading the DLL failed. I had to copy all
the
> DLLs from ...\PyQt4\bin into ...\PyQt4.
>
> What is going on here? I would expect PyQt4 to installable as a
> non-priveleged
> user as well.

I assume this is under XP.

The installer requires admin privileges and correctly asks for an
appropriate password with Vista & 7. I admit it could be more flexible, but
I don't have the knowledge to improve it without risking breaking what
seems to be fine for most people.