[PyQt] Newbie resizing dock widgets question

Sarah Mount mount.sarah at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 00:50:14 BST 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 00:17, David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 April 2011, Sarah Mount wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 21:45, David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

<snip: long docking discussion>

> The "center widget" or central area in the main window is a normal widget
> that you can place any other widgets in. This includes dock widgets, but
> they aren't designed to be used like that. They are supposed to be managed
> separately by the main window, "outside" the central area. Qt Designer does
> a reasonable job of letting you configure this, but it is constrained by its
> widgets-on-a-form approach to UI design.
>
> If it turns out that you aren't using all the features of dock widgets in
> your application, you can design the kind of UI you describe using splitters
> instead. If you want to do that, just ask and I can give more details.

Thanks, that diagram made a lot of sense, I've re-worked the GUI with
splitters, and, like you say, that's much more what I was looking for.
I didn't realise that splitters could be resized, and I can add some
actions for closing each pane.

Many thanks,

Sarah
--
Sarah Mount, Senior Lecturer, University of Wolverhampton
website:  http://www.snim2.org/